I noticed a small amount of mold (or mildew) on the dry wall under my kitchen sink. I don't know how long it's been there, or how long it's taken it to get there, but I cleaned it up with some disinfecting clorox wipes. Is it possible some tiny amount of water go through the part where my faucet meets the counter top? If so, is there anything I can put there to stop it? See photo.


enter image description here

  • yes, that's certainly possible. Recaulk it by loosening the faucet, apply caulk under, re-attach, then trim off the excess.
    – dandavis
    Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 15:48
  • @dandavis: excellent, I can definitely handle that. What kind of caulk would you recommend? Anything clear?
    – David
    Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 15:49
  • 1
    just about anything will work. i like clear 100% silicone for inside water-tight jobs. there should be a giant plastic nut that will release your faucet without affecting water connections.
    – dandavis
    Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 15:50
  • 1
    100% silicone, Kitchen and Bath, Mold and Mildew resistant caulk.
    – Alaska Man
    Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 16:07
  • 1
    Well, that's not exactly true. More caulk will look sloppy, but more importantly silicone doesn't stick to silicone. It won't bond well.
    – isherwood
    Commented Aug 28, 2020 at 16:28

1 Answer 1


Caulk may work to some extent, but silicone is soft and doesn't withstand movement terribly well. I'd check whether there's a seal missing at that location. Maybe it was installed in the wrong position.

If not, I'd install a thin rubber or silicone washer. This would mean disconnecting the faucet supply lines and removing the mounting nut, but it will result in a more reliable seal than caulk.

Otherwise, definitely use pure silicone caulk and not latex, which won't bond as well and tends to harden over time, which will result in cracking and failure.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.