I'm trying to remove these bathroom faucet handles. There are no screws anywhere on the outside surface.

Is it just a matter of prying them off, either using a screwdriver or just pulling up on the knobs really hard? Or should I try turning the knobs the wrong way?

I don't want to force it, so I figured I'd ask first.

Does anyone recognize the make / model? It would be good to know what replacement parts I'd need to buy before I disassemble it.

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


If there are no obvious means of disconnecting, it ALMOST has to be a "pop off" design. What other options are there??? I'd take a putty knife and gently pry on it from different sides and see if it "wants" to break free.

  • "If there are no obvious means of disconnecting, it has to be a "pop off" design." Does it actually? It could be that the means to detach them is on the bottom of the mounting.
    – nick012000
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 6:16
  • 1
    Highly highly unlikely. How would that work? And it'd probably be the stupidest design ever, unless the engineer had never climbed under a sink....
    – Kyle B
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 6:18
  • "How would that work?" Screws that slide along a track when the handles are turned? Screws attached to an axle to prevent it from being pulled out? Or, if you meant "how would it be assembled", I imagine that you'd attach the handles to the mounting, then attach the mounting to the sink and before attaching the pipes and hoses.
    – nick012000
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 6:21
  • 1
    LOL Ok I'll play along... Ever seen one that mounts the handles from underneath?? The "axle" you speak of is where the valve stem would be. To say such an arrangement would be "awkward" is an understatement. Are you just trying to be difficult or are you actually posing a serious reply??? Because I'm not of the mind to tolerate silliness ATM. Would it have been better to say "It "almost" has to be a pop off?" Because, ya know, nothing in the world is absolute. And there's always somebody who's happy to call out typos and grammar errors. "These handles pop off" There, I said it.
    – Kyle B
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 6:29
  • I'm not a plumber, but I do have a bit of experience studying engineering. I think it might be physically possible, yes, but I don't know what the standards are regarding plumbing. If you think that having a bottom-mounted handle would violate standards, feel free to quote them.
    – nick012000
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 7:05

enter image description here enter image description here I think I see the set screw at the base if the handle.

Usually a small Allen wrench.

  • 2
    No, those are just reflections. There are no screws anywhere on the outside--I looked all over, felt everywhere for them, on the knobs, on the base.
    – BoomMike
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 3:38
  • Oh my bad. Is this plastic or metal under the chrome?
    – Kris
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 3:42
  • All good. They sound metallic.
    – BoomMike
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 3:47
  • diy.stackexchange.com/questions/78912/…. Check this similar question out
    – Kris
    Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 3:48
  • 1
    In the early 1970s I encountered a kitchen faucet that did not have replaceable valve seats! Is it possible that these handles are pressed on and are not removable? Commented Aug 26, 2020 at 10:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.