I've installed a 240V 50 A GFCI breaker for a to-be hot tub in a subpanel and just done a preliminary test. If I power it on, a non-contact voltage tester shows its load cable is live. However the TEST button on the breaker does nothing. I've pushed it fairly hard, I don't think its just stiff. And most test buttons I've used before are pretty sensitive.
I've not independently tested the two legs vs ground or neutral, but could do so.
I think there are two likely possibilities: the breaker is bad, or my wiring is bad. As far as I can tell the wiring is fine. (I've wired numerous 120 and 240 V breakers before.) Any other possibilities?
I'm looking for advice on diagnosing this. I assume that if the wiring is in fact OK, then the breaker must be defective?
FYI at the moment the breaker is OFF and the cable run to it is terminated at the other end, not attached to any equipment yet. So I think this is safe for the time being.
Actually, assuming I do have to replace the breaker, is this the best state to leave it in the meantime? I could pull the breaker & cap off the wires in the subpanel but that would leave the front cover with a big hole.
Update - I did replace it with an identical breaker - no change to wiring - and the new one worked fine. This seemed conclusive that the breaker was bad.