0

I was sitting in my room when I noticed that the ceiling fan was sparking and causing fumes. I tried turning it off but neither it stopped spining nor sparking. I'm really worried about whether it will cause a fire or something. It stopped only upon switching off the main supply. Pls help me asap.

2
  • 2
    Step 1: leave the breaker turned off. It's likely that a wire has worked loose and that you've got a short. If you're comfortable doing some DIY electrical work, someone will be along shortly to help, otherwise, you'll want to call in an electrician. In the meantime, please edit your post to let us know where in the world you live - there are different electrical systems and the repair work will vary slightly. – FreeMan Aug 19 '20 at 17:45
  • 2
    Leave the breaker for the fan off. Has any new work been done lately? Any new switches, etc? – JACK Aug 19 '20 at 18:11
3

With a lot of new ceiling fans, the "switch" in the box in the wall is nothing more than a wireless transmitter and the fan is permanently wired at the ceiling through the wireless receiver. So if that receiver unit fails shorted, the fan cannot be turned off. If you are not comfortable with electrical work, this is something that will require the services of a qualified electrician.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.