We are purchasing a home with a shared well with the neighbor. The pressure tank is in the house we are purchasing. We are destroying the house therefore the tank will need to be relocated outside. Looking at 2 options a hut with insulation and a gas heater for the winter or underground below frost level.concerns with both options with freezing. Any ideas of the best route?

  • Single pump or one for each residence?
    – mikes
    Aug 18 '20 at 20:43
  • Where are you in the world? My area a small insulated structure with a light bulb is usually enough to keep it from freezing.
    – Ed Beal
    Aug 18 '20 at 21:24
  • Yes, where are you on this planet? Also, I take it you are planning to put a replacement house in, and if that's the case, will it be on the same site as the old house or in a different place on the property? Aug 18 '20 at 23:47

I had a similar situation. My wife and I bought a property with an old, poorly remodeled house and another newer house (mid-80s) with a shared well. I built a "pump house" that housed not only the pressure tank, but water softeners for both houses as well (no pun intended!). I also terminated various utilities (electric, phone, cable) at the pump house with a 200 amp generator transfer switch to supply one of the panels on my new home from the generator that was also housed just outsize the pump house. I call it my personal PUD! The pump house is insulated and has never had any freezing issues (Western Washington State, so Pretty mild climate). I'd suggest good insulation on your pump house and a small electric heater to keep temps over about 35 degrees. I think a gas heater would be overkill and more expensive than needed. A decent sized pressurized water tank holds a great deal of thermal mass and would likely keep the temps pretty even. But if needed the electric could kick on for a bit to keep temps above freezing.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.