I ordered this desk here but one of the sides' holes in one of the legs won't allow any of the screws to screw in.

What are my options? It's definitely the screw the directions are saying to use but I guess the hole itself isn't threaded or something?

Or could these holes be a different size? And I just need to go to Lowe's to look for smaller screws? I'm really lost here and returning the desk isn't an option sadly.

Holes that won't allow the correct screw to screw in

  • While Jimmy Fix-it's answer is very good (and correct), before attempting to fix it on your own, I'd suggest contacting the mfgr to ask about replacement parts. I've just had a similar issue with a flat-pack dresser and was pleasantly shocked at the very positive response from the mfgr. They're shipping 3 new parts since the originals didn't have properly located assembly holes. They indicated that if this doesn't fix the issue, I can still return it to the original retailer (dealing with the retailer). If they become a pain, I'll figure out how to fix it myself.
    – FreeMan
    Aug 18, 2020 at 12:58
  • 1
    Would you please post the page in the instructions pertaining to that assembly step? Maybe you've misunderstood something.
    – isherwood
    Aug 18, 2020 at 13:50

1 Answer 1


Just bring that original screw to a hardware store (I would say for you NOT to go to a "big-box" store because it might be helpful for you to speak to a human for assistance) and ask for a *sheet metal screw" that is approximately the same diameter. A sheet metal screw will be a threaded screw not unlike your original, but will be pointed and is designed to carve its own thread into the metal as you drive it in. Sheet metal screws will not "tap" new threads which would allow you to use a machine screw like your original, but it should drive in and hold just fine.

  • Also known as a "self-tapping" screw
    – SiHa
    Aug 18, 2020 at 6:09
  • If the hole is there, but the threads won't engage properly, it could be that some weld slag fell into the threads. If this is the case, you would have to re-tap the threads.
    – Evil Elf
    Aug 18, 2020 at 12:18
  • Are you sure that hole is intended to be threaded? The countersink suggest to me that a flathead bolt is supposed to fit in there, perhaps to tie this desk together with another desk, credenza, drawer stack or filing cabinet.
    – Duston
    Aug 18, 2020 at 13:31
  • I'm not sure that those are countersunk so much as punched.
    – isherwood
    Aug 18, 2020 at 13:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.