I recently purchased a Honeywell portable AC unit for my apartment but there's two competing issues:

  1. I only have a sliding door in my apartment (no windows), and the adapter kit to vent through the window obviously isn't long enough for the height of the door.

  2. There is a portable AC port in the wall (which I would prefer to use), but the diameter of the Honeywell tubing is 6", and the interior diameter of the wall port is about 5.5". There is also a gradual extrusion away from the wall port with a diameter about 6".

I have been going insane trying to find any information on standardized apartment wall AC ports, and literally any search I try gives me results that are either "10 best AC units to buy for apartments" or imply that I would drill a hole myself to match the size of the tubing. For example, I tried searching "apartment portable ac wall vent". I have been searching for at least 3-4 hours.

So, I have three questions:

  1. What is the wall AC port called so I can search it correctly?

  2. How do I attach the portable AC tube to the wall port? Do I just use duct tape? I literally have no idea how to safely attach it otherwise and the unit did not come with instructions for wall ports.

  3. Should I just give up and purchase a sliding door adapter kit?

I appreciate any help as I am slowly melting!

Here's a picture also. enter image description here

  • 1
    Make a plywood panel to sort the door gap - probably cheaper than a door kit but tools, skills and time are also factors...
    – Solar Mike
    Aug 16, 2020 at 5:05
  • Photos of the wall port and the end of the tube would help figure out what would work.
    – Kevin Reid
    Aug 16, 2020 at 5:07
  • Added. The tube is collapsable/extendable.
    – glaceonix
    Aug 16, 2020 at 5:09
  • 1
    Using a sliding door is a feature not a bug. It allows you to separate the hot ejection air from condenser intake air. Eject the hot air near the top and suck condenser air from the bottom. Aug 16, 2020 at 21:05
  • @Harper-ReinstateMonica - that type of AC only has a single hot hose, separation not required. The cold side is just pulled from the room itself.
    – Tetsujin
    Aug 17, 2020 at 9:10

2 Answers 2


That does not look like a port intended for connecting any sort of hose, particularly as the rim is rounded over without any provision for sealing or securing. It looks like a round register that is missing the central diffuser and damper control parts:

enter image description here

(Photo by Paul Goyette on Wikimedia Commons, CC-BY-SA license)

Do not connect your air conditioner to it as this will most likely disrupt the building's ventilation system (sending your hot exhaust air to other people's apartments) and also probably have flow restriction that will reduce your AC's performance.

Instead, buy an aftermarket sliding door vent kit.


I have this in my condo also. The white cap thing is held in by a clamp, you pull on the middle of the 3 "branches" it will come out easy. Then put your hose in, you should see a round flap to the outside. It was a simple set up time for me.

  • This makes a lot of sense except that the OP indicated a hose diameter of 6" and a port internal diameter of 5.5". He may need an adapter of some sort.
    – FreeMan
    Jun 28, 2022 at 13:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.