I need to replace this hose bib. The guy at HD said I need a 1/2 inch hose bib with a female end.

enter image description here

I think I need one that needs to be sweated in, not female. I say that because the adapter it connects to, it is perfectly round. The 3/4 -> 1/2 inch male adapters I saw were not round on the outside, they had similar wrench-grip (six sided) like the hose bib has.

Who is correct?

If I am correct, I think I'm going to remove the adapter itself and replace with a 3/4->1/2 inch male adapter, and buy a 1/2" hose bib with female end.

Does this sound right?

  • it's hard to see from this angle. there's a hexagonal part at the back with a possible tool mark, it could be screwed on.
    – Jasen
    Aug 15 '20 at 8:34
  • Is your supply line coming vertically out of the ground? Aug 15 '20 at 10:18
  • 2
    If you plan to change parts anyway, I'd suggest a FPT adapter since MPT hose bibbs / boiler drains are common as dirt (and most are also dual purpose - solderable on the inside), while FPT ones are unusual. Without a closer view I can't tell for sure if this bibb is soldered on or threaded in, but the hex would be unusual on a solder bibb unless it was dual-purpose, and then you would see the threads if it was soldered. I'd bet on a round exterior 3/4 sweat to 1/2 FPT adapter and MPT on the bibb, but it would not be a large bet without a closer look.
    – Ecnerwal
    Aug 15 '20 at 13:33
  • 3
    Since you have a convenient shutoff valve you could remove the stem and take it to a plumbing supply and get a replacement. You could examine the valve seat and replace that if it is replaceable. In short do you really need a whole new valve? Aug 15 '20 at 15:15
  • 2
    do what i do: buy all the parts to do the job both ways, then return what you don't end up using.
    – Z4-tier
    Aug 15 '20 at 15:58

I would repair the valve assembly less than a dollar for the seat and some valve packing.

If you want to replace it it is a sweated fitting standard 1/2 nipple goes on the inside of the fitting for 1/2” and 3/4 goes on the outside of the fitting or that is the style I purchase under 10$

Edit I looked up the style I use 1/2”. 3/4” brass SWT x mHT no kink hose bib $7.97 at home desperate.

  • thanks @edbeal, i didn't even think about that. I bought a replacement bibb of same brand but the turn handle doesn't fit the one above, but i didn't think about removing the whole part. i will give that a shot.
    – Greg
    Aug 18 '20 at 16:59

I got this fixed today. It was a 1/2 - 3/4" Bibb that had to be sweated on. The Bibb itself I am sure is 20+ years old, I could not find a replacement handle nor a replacement top piece, I ordered the same manufacturer bibb but neither part worked. Appreciate everyone's help!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.