I am relocating a sink and I am rotating the tub (actually replacing the tub with a shower) in position and it will cover the area under which I have the drain for the current sink Should I remove it prior to this or I can leave it where it is and cap it and hide it in the wall ?

  • If it feeds a floor drain, be sure that fhe floor drain is still being fed to avoid the trap drying out. – Jasen Aug 15 '20 at 6:22
  • If I add (move) the sink somewhere else on the same drain wouldnt that take care of this? – MiniMe Aug 15 '20 at 10:49
  • 1
    yes, that would work – Jasen Aug 15 '20 at 11:50

You can cap it, but you have to use an ABS glue cap, not pressure fitted coloured caps.

If you are cutting anything back, past any T or Y connectors, make sure you do not sever the dry-vent connection to the rest of the plumbing.


It's fine to cap it and leave it within the wall.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.