I have heard rustling sounds coming from my exterior walls, which I am assuming is mice (or some other rodent) scurrying around in the hollow wall.

I have found a hole about 2 inches in diameter in my electricity meter box where a thick electrical cable enters the house, which I think might be where the mice are getting into the walls.

What can I use to block the hole that the mice won't be able to move or chew through?

  • 1
    The hole is in your meter box? Isn't your meter box closed off, aside from the opening to your house and the service mast above? Oct 20 '12 at 12:20
  • No, the electricity cable come from the ground into the bottom of the box, and then into the house, and there are gaps around both holes easily big enough for a small rodent to squeeze in. I'm in the UK, so maybe it is different to elsewhere in the world?
    – DBPaul
    Oct 20 '12 at 17:02

When sealing a hole around an electrical entry cable, the best product to use is Plasduct. It is a putty like material, gray in color. You will find it in most electrical departments at the box stores or your local hardware store. Use it just like modeling clay, work it a bit to make it pliable, then stuff it into the hole around the cable as deeply as possible. I have never seen rodents or insects get through this stuff.

  • 2
    +1 If you don't find it in the electrical department, check the HVAC supplies, since this is also used on the holes from refrigerant lines.
    – BMitch
    Oct 20 '12 at 12:46
  • I've never heard of "Plasduct", but it sounds just like Duct Seal which is a product from Ideal Industries.
    – Tester101
    Oct 20 '12 at 15:49
  • yes, same type of product. Oct 20 '12 at 16:28
  • Thanks. I have not heard of this type of product, but it sounds perfect. I'm in the UK, but hopefully there will be a similar product here that I can find. Thanks again!
    – DBPaul
    Oct 20 '12 at 16:59
  • 1
    In the UK, this putty is called 'Plumber's Mait', and it did the job perfectly.
    – DBPaul
    Nov 8 '12 at 22:02

I fill the hold with caulk, then stick pins in it to deter mice from coming near. then cover with plaster. then tile the floor.

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Thanks for the answer; keep 'em coming. And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to contribute here. Sep 23 '19 at 18:41

Quickest and easiest way is to stuff the hole with steel wool. You can also put screening material or similar metalwork over the hole.

  • 4
    In most cases, steel wool is good for sealing a hole from pests. But when that hole includes 100+amp wiring, I'd recommend against anything that can wear the insulation and react badly to electrical current.
    – BMitch
    Oct 20 '12 at 12:44
  • 2
    steel wool looks so cool when it burns though! lol Oct 20 '12 at 15:13
  • If you can find it, copper wool is good. (Amazon sells it.) It won't rust, and mice won't go through it. If not, steel wool works, and is far cheaper. It is a bad idea for holes that have wires running through them though.
    – user558
    Oct 20 '12 at 15:16
  • 1
    Fine steel wool can even ignite with low voltage: youtube.com/watch?v=YjYecQeQ7_A
    – Jay Bazuzi
    Oct 20 '12 at 18:06
  • 1
    I thought he was talking about the hole coming into his house and missed it about the electrical box.
    – Rob
    Oct 20 '12 at 20:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.