I am replacing a 4-inch spread faucet. The hot and cold water taps each have a big brass nut threaded under the sink (in addition to the basin nuts). These nuts are connected to each other by something I’ve never seen (I’ve only done about a half dozen sinks in houses I’ve had). I don’t know how to remove the piece connecting those nuts so that I can remove the nuts. enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    Can you add a picture from the top? Given the prominent "front" marking on that I suspect the whole thing pulls out the bottom, perhaps after undoing something above so that can happen.
    – Ecnerwal
    Aug 8, 2020 at 22:54
  • Added a picture from the top. Aug 8, 2020 at 23:11
  • We should close the question if the answer the op provided is deleted that doesn’t make any sense.
    – Ed Beal
    Aug 9, 2020 at 15:27

1 Answer 1


This was a bottom-mount faucet.

I was able to pry out a plastic ring holding each side, and drop it down from the bottom.

See the hot water side in the picture.

A small screwdriver easily fit in the notch.

enter image description here

  • So the moral of the story is; A small screwdriver was required to get your big brass nuts off ?
    – Alaska Man
    Aug 9, 2020 at 17:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.