My washing machine is completely unresponsive when plugged in to a working outlet. I opened up the machine to take a look and found that this connector had come loose. It seemed to me that the 'mouth' of the connector probably attached to the row of 8 pins visible in the top left corner of picture 3 below. I tried pushing it into place but it was still a little loose, so I held it on whilst plugging in the machine to test. No luck, having tried both sides up.

Could anyone a little more familiar with PCBs advise me? Am I attaching the connector all wrong, or is there perhaps something missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!


  • You could be right about the former location, but it would take some fine soldering skills to reattach it. Those appear to be surface-mount contacts (as opposed to through-mount). It might make sense to replace the board. – isherwood Aug 5 '20 at 13:22
  • 1
    That looks like an Edge Connector. It seems to me as though it would slide onto the edge of the PCB at the Bottom-Right corner of your pic 3 (or somewhere similar with those "finger" contacts). – brhans Aug 5 '20 at 13:35
  • 1
    A closer look at that connector shows a keyway between pins 3 & 4, and the left end is closed - so it looks like it won't fit that particular position on that PCB. Look for similar features on the edge of that PCB or others. You'd need to find one with a slot cut out, then 3 'fingers' then another slot (for the keyway), then another 5 fingers. – brhans Aug 5 '20 at 13:39
  • 3
    We seem to have come to the same conclusions at the same time (you commented while I was writing my answer, so I had not seen your comments until after I was done writing.) By the way, "holding on while plugging in the machine to test" is a VERY dangerous game to play with mains-powered equipment. Please don't do that again, Clare. – Ecnerwal Aug 5 '20 at 13:50
  • 2
    What's the blue thing on the bottom of your first 2 pictures? It looks like it may be an electrical plug receptacle of some sort. – PhilippNagel Aug 5 '20 at 13:59

I think you are trying the wrong location entirely.

That appears to be an edge connector [ it clips over the edge of a PCB ], and at first I thought the spot where it goes is on the lower right of the 3rd picture and the lower left of the last picture. But I don't think that is correct, looking closer.

It only goes on one way - the slot cut between the connector pads matches a divider between pins - but the position of the slot [7 pins one side, 1 pin on the other, while the plug has 3 pins on one side, 5 on the other] does not add up, and the closed end of the plug (up in your second picture) requires either another slot or a set of pads at the edge of the board it clips to.

enter image description here enter image description here

So, you're looking for a different 8-pin edge connector on the PCB, but it'll have a divider between pins 3 and 4.

  • I was writing my own answer when you beat me to it; hope you don't mind my adding my stuff to yours. – Daniel Griscom Aug 5 '20 at 13:59
  • What the heck, I'll just community-wiki the thing. I don't need the "points" ;-) – Ecnerwal Aug 5 '20 at 14:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.