I accidentally scratched the paint from the wall, chipping it and exposing the white paint below. The wall is slightly yellow and "bumpy", so to say. The scratched area is the size of a coin. I have the fragments of the paint, but I am unsure if they can be useful for something.

My question is: what kind of paint should I get and how can I match the color so that it does not stand out on the wall ? I can provide pics if needed.

  • If you can't get an exact match (but you can get very close), the worse case is painting the entire wall. You only need to paint to the edges/corners, as the way the light affects the wall color when the wall changes directions will mask any minor differences in actual color.
    – gregmac
    Oct 16, 2012 at 19:44

2 Answers 2


There are a couple things to consider. First, with regards to color, is how old the paint job is. After the initial cure (during which the color usually darkens slightly), paint will yellow over time, and it also accumulates dirt and debris which further affect its color. Smoking in the house speeds this up. What this means is that older paint is harder to match generally. When it comes to color matching, keep this in mind and if possible, let the store doing the color matching (using the chips you saved) know about the age as they might suggest slightly altering the color. Working in your favor is the size of the damage - something this small won't be as noticeable as say a large 12"x12" patch.

Next up is texture - it sounds like your paint was applied with a roller originally, so you should be sure to use a roller on your patch. If you use a brush then the texture difference will be more noticeable.

The above two techniques should help you blend the patch, though it will still be noticeable to some degree. If you are a perfectionist then the only "right" way to do it is just re-paint the entire wall/section.

  • It's brand new paint. the color is as applied. Oct 16, 2012 at 16:16
  • If the repainted area as described above is still noticeable, consider painting a section of the wall, top to bottom and ending in an area where there is little painted surface (at a door frame or window frame).
    – bib
    Oct 16, 2012 at 16:21
  • @bib: No, I need to hack it somehow. One thing I was thinking about is to scratch paint from other non-visible areas with a knife, slightly, as a powder form. Then I need to make a new small amount of paint from the powder, but I need a binder of some sort. Oct 16, 2012 at 16:43
  • 2
    I don't think there is a need to make your own paint - any paint store will color match
    – Steven
    Oct 16, 2012 at 16:57
  • also, maybe this is a dumb question, but if it's brand new, don't you have any left?
    – Steven
    Oct 16, 2012 at 16:58

Most good paint shops will do a colour-matching service if you bring along the fragment you have.

You will be able to tell whether it is gloss or matt (or the assistant at the paint shop will)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.