I've been looking at height gauges and they don't quite fit what I need. I'm trying to measure a ceiling not an object.

I've seen some old fashioned height gauges that seem to do what I'm looking for but I'm hoping I just don't know the name or something.

I have one of those plastic gauges showing up but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. If you can point me in a direction I'm much obliged.

  • tape measure works well for measuring the height of a ceiling – jsotola Jul 29 '20 at 7:00
  • Not literally a ceiling above my head – user120474 Jul 29 '20 at 7:07
  • I need something like a micrometer – user120474 Jul 29 '20 at 7:08
  • 1
    'Those plastic gauges' makes me think of Vernier Calipers, which are available in both plastic and metal versions. But I think there might be a language barrier here as I can't think of any other definition of ceiling apart from a literal one. – SomeoneSomewhereSupportsMonica Jul 29 '20 at 7:31
  • 3
    Take a deep breath, please, @user120474. Not sure what's got you quite so riled up, but people are trying to help. English certainly isn't the only language in the world, but it's the language here at SE, if it's not your native tongue, that's perfectly fine and you speak it better than I speak your language - guaranteed. However, we're not getting what you're asking. The English definition of ceiling, especially on a home improvement site is that flat thing above your head. If you mean something else please include a pic of it. – FreeMan Jul 29 '20 at 11:14

I do not know exactly what type of ceiling you are measuring, but the old fashioned way I know to do it accurately are using "tick sticks", 2 pieces of wood that are shorter than the length you need but when combined together, they are long enough to measure the area. Mark the stick accordingly or clamp them together to maintain the length that the area provided.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.