I currently have a PCV water line to my fridge.

enter image description here

I’d like to connect a braided line to it to connect to the fridge. Is there a connector that will do this? I’m trying not to replace the entire line to my basement.

  • 1
    Can you provide a picture of the water line? Why are you interested in doing this? – JACK Jul 19 '20 at 14:01
  • 1
    So you'd like to connect a braided line to the fridge and what are you going to connect the other side of that braided line to? Post a picture of what you want to connect to and someone will let you know what fitting/adapter to use and how to do it. PVC comes in different sizes so a picture is really needed. – Platinum Goose Jul 19 '20 at 14:02
  • It’s a normal 1/4 pcv line with a female connector. I tried connecting directly to the fridge and it has a slow leak and I was afraid to tighten more. The delivery guys said I need a braided line because I can’t over tighten a braided line. – Jay Jul 19 '20 at 14:28
  • 2
    That's probably a polyethylene line. I'm going to assume it uses compression fittings. Usually people don't use the inserts on the compression fittings and they leak. If that's what it uses you can simply remove the nut that you've been tightening and the polyethylene line and replace with the braided line. You can over tighten a braided line. – Platinum Goose Jul 19 '20 at 14:36
  • This is why it was requested that you provide a picture. There are a lot of eagle-eyed people 'round here who can help identify installation errors and tell you how to fix them, even when you haven't a clue that it was done wrong. – FreeMan Jul 19 '20 at 14:57

Assuming you're in the US that line should be 1/4". For the braided line you want 1/4" compression x 1/4" compression. It will have a fitting at each end with a rubber washer built in and it will connect directly to the fitting on the fridge. The other end of that line in the photo will have the same fitting.

Google "1/4" icemaker braided line"

  • (Squinting) it seems like the brass tube insert piece is missing from that compression fitting? If so, get one at plumbing drpt. and install in tubing. The braided tubing is typically only available in certain short lengths, like 5 feet. What distance will you need? – DAS Apr 16 at 7:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.