The appliance is a pizza oven with Schuko plug [Picture 1], running at 240V 50-60Hz 2.8Kw. The receptacle is a US 240V 20A [Picture 2] to which is currently connected the PTAC [Picture 3]. Sharing the picture of the circuit panel [Picture 4] and the back of the appliance [Picture 5]

I’ll use the pizza oven once a week and I can not replace receptacle because I live in an apartment. Would this appliance work if plugged in the receptacle shown?

If yes, is it better to replace the cord or use an adapter? I couldn’t find any to buy online.

If not, what other options do I have?

Thank you!

Appliance plug


PTAC plug

enter image description here

enter image description here![


blink blink I can't believe it.

We get so many variations of "I got this European thing" or "can I plug (huge thing) into (tiny outlet)" or "renting as complication" - and the answer is always a huge Nope. Until now.

Yes, you can!

That receptacle is exactly what you need for that appliance.

In fact, if you had the ability to run a new circuit to that appliance, this is exactly what we'd tell you to install.

You might want to buy a lottery ticket :) Luck is with you today. (or skill?)

Change the plug.

It just takes a common NEMA 6-20 plug that has a strain relief appropriate for that diameter of cable. Any electrical supply house will have it, and a hardware store or box store might even.

The only way I'd consider an adapter cable is if you made it yourself with a TUV-rated Schuko inline socket, some 12/3 cordage, and the NEMA 6-20P of course.

Even if you could find an adapter, 99% chance it would be some cheap Chinese rubbish that would catch on fire and kill you with toxic smoke while you sleep. I suppose, if you could find a high-current (at least 2.5mm wires) Schuko "power strip" from a reliable vendor of unquestionable quality (Tripp-Lite, Siemens etc.), then I'd say buy it and change the plug to NEMA 6-20P.

  • 3
    I think you mean 'change the plug', not 'change the socket'. – SomeoneSomewhereSupportsMonica Jul 16 '20 at 10:42
  • 1
    @gbronner-- I'd get a new cord for the pizza oven because they probably want to be able to plug the PTAC back in at some point :) – ThreePhaseEel Jul 16 '20 at 17:00
  • 2
    @GeorgeAnderson Wouldn't it be either the 10/12 or 13/15 breakers? They're both labeled "Heat Pump", and that is a plausible description for a PTAC. – Doug Deden Jul 16 '20 at 18:57
  • 1
    @DougDeden Ahh...good point. Could be an outlet for a PTAC. When I saw heat pump I was thinking a mini-split or an outdoor condenser unit hardwired. Thanks for the comment, it's a great one. upvote from me! – George Anderson Jul 16 '20 at 19:00
  • 1
    @TemporaryData -- keep a close eye on the cord to make sure it doesn't overheat, and you'll want to be careful with routing it to avoid winding up with a boxload of pizza oven pieces instead of a pizza oven... – ThreePhaseEel Jul 16 '20 at 19:04

Yes, it's fine, and replace the cord. Adapters can fail and start fires.

  • Short & sweet. Too short & sweet... You got flagged for length and content. Might want to consider a bit of extra filling. ;) – FreeMan Jul 16 '20 at 11:04
  • 1
    They can probably keep the existing cord and simply field-fit a NEMA 6-15P on the end – ThreePhaseEel Jul 16 '20 at 11:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.