I have the following drained pvc tube pipe. As you can see from the picture below, I want to detach the part that I've circled in green (the upper part).

enter image description here

The pvc part has been glued.

After many readings on the internet, one of the easiest solution would be to use a heat gun/thermal cleaner to unstuck it (like in this video).

Is there a simpler way to unglued the pvc tube without using a heat gun?

Thank you.

  • use a blow torch, or jet lighter, instead of the heat gun. or you can get special drills, but heat is the cheapest method. – Jasen Jul 15 at 11:25

The glue normally used is a pvc cement and « welds » the joint together.

I would cut that tee out and fit a new one with extensions to meet up with the existing pipes using couplers.

When you get the old part out, try separating a joint - they tend to « tear » the surface.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I have cut a glued section out and made a cut to make a "split" ring then tried to separate the two parts - the cement "welds" the surfaces together. – Solar Mike Jul 14 at 12:02
  • 1
    I agree with Mike. Cut out the old tee and just replace it. I've tried many times in my younger years to separate glued PVC and failed every time. Even if you can separate the pieces you'll probably damage the surface so it will leak when you reglue. – JACK Jul 14 at 12:19
  • 1
    @AndyK When you make your cuts, be sure to leave enough of the remaining straight pieces (the 1 vertical and 2 horizontal) that you can slip couplings on them and glue or clamp them (with a Fernco type clamp) together! – FreeMan Jul 14 at 12:38
  • 1
    @AndyK that looks like it's in the right area. Before you start cutting, hold your couplers up to ensure that there's enough left to fully seat into the coupler. Don't forget the horizontals, as well. Especially on the right, it's starting to get really tight... You may have enough flexibility with the length of pipe coming in from the left to get them all slipped together with rigid couplings, but be prepared to go to Ferncos if you don't - they're more expensive ($5-10 vs <$1 for a rigid coupler) but sometimes it's the only way to get the pipes to connect – FreeMan Jul 14 at 13:12
  • 2
    Andy K, I think what Solar Mike is suggesting that once you have the now-throw-away joint out of the system, make an attempt to separate the parts as you might if it was in place. You'll discover true futility. – fred_dot_u Jul 14 at 13:26

Depending on what you are doing there are tools which allow you to reuse previously pvc glued couplings.

Jones Stephens Corp Socket Saver 2" Carded is one product. Typically you wouldn't bother with the socket saver approach unless you have no access and would need to remove walls/ceilings.

Here is a decent video of the process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQGssYM5C2M&t=1m57s

In your case I'd opt for couplings if the pipe is going to remain with the same configuration.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hi @fresh-codemonger, I go for the coupling. It will be easier. – Andy K Jul 14 at 17:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.