I am adding a circuit to feed off a live GFCI outlet. At the outlet I read 118V in both receptacles and the reading is stable. With the new cable, I connected the neutral white to the silver screw directly underneath the old one, and the hot black to the gold screw directly underneath the live one. When I go to test the exposed wires on the other end (not connected to an outlet yet), the voltage readings are crazy and bounce all around from 80V to 640V. Did I wire the new circuit to the GFCI incorrectly?
One set of terminals says line that is the incoming hot. The other set of terminals that normally has a cover over them say load. The load is for additional receptacles to be protected.
Some brands the line is on the bottom some line is on top so we don’t know if it is correct or incorrectly wired.
Strange readings on your meter are you sure it’s on Volts and not millivolt range. Just wiring wrong cannot create higher voltage.
Definitely not a multimeter problem. I opened it up again to make sure that I wired the new cable to Load, which I did do correctly. I removed the hot in order to turn it around to read and make sure. Then I wired it again as before and it now the new cable reads a stable 118V. Only thing I can think of is an intermittent short after I screwed it back together, but that doesn’t make sense since it’s a GFCI that tests correctly, and of course the breaker itself. Anyway it’s all taped up now and it appears to be solved. Thanks all!