I am trying to hang wall cabinets obviously want them level and plumb.

However, when I removed my old cabinets half of the wall’s plaster is missing.

enter image description here

This creates an extremely unlevel surface.

My thoughts were to drywall and try to match the thickness of the plaster there


To screw in drywall shims and make the studs level as best as possible.

  • 1
    Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Would you mind adding a longer-view picture, and perhaps one at an angle so we can better see the depth differences? And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know you'll know the details of contributing here. Jul 13 '20 at 13:31
  • I'm not convinced that you'd need to completely finish the wall in order to proceed, but I'd at least cut the plaster cleanly (and the vacuum well) to stifle the endless stream of dust that's likely to fall out from behind the cabinetry.
    – isherwood
    Jul 13 '20 at 14:28

I'd presume that by "drywall shims" you mean pieces of drywall to bring the surface out to the level of the plaster. In that case, your two options are essentially the same thing, and, I think, a great idea.

I'd suggest, though, that before you start down that path, you measure the thickness of the plaster & lath from the stud face. You may be better off using strips of plywood/OSB that are a very close equivalent to the thickness of what you've got there. There is a lot more variety in plywood/OSB than there are in drywall, so you could probably match thickness in one layer instead of having to build it up. Of course, if the thickness you need to build out exactly matches a sheet of drywall, then you've got all the options in the world!

Additional items of note:

  • That insulation has a vapor barrier on it, but it's useless, since it's not contiguous and it's not all oriented correctly. I hope that it's simply being used for sound deadening on an interior wall. If not, you've got a really cold wall and the next point is critical...

  • I'm assuming this is not a load bearing wall. If so, you've got a significant issue where the top plate is cut through for the pipe on the right-hand side.

  • The pipe on the left-hand side appears to completely bypass the top plate, meaning that your furring will have to leave a gap to accommodate it. You'll probably want to use some steel protector plates (usually used to protect electrical wiring in the wall) to protect the pipe so you don't accidentally try to run a screw through the cabinet and directly into your water supply line.

  • Do note JACK's recommendation to also do something about the cable conduit run, as well.

And now you know why the previous person left this part of the wall unfinished... It's unprofessional, it looks bad, and it's going to take work to do it right.

  • You'd think the guy who spell-checks everyone else's posts would spell check his own. :/ Thanks isherwood...
    – FreeMan
    Jul 13 '20 at 14:27

Repairing the wall first is the correct way to go about this. You will have to rework that BX cable and what appears to be a copper water line.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.