I had an integrated garage in the house. I have recently had a builder come and replace the garage door with a brick wall and a large bay window as I plan to turn this garage into an office. I have contacted building control at our local council and they have rejected the application because there is no Damp Proof Course around the brick pillar.

See pictureGarageWindow

The building controller, who I contact over whatsapp doesn't respond to my questions. The builder has gone AWOL and I'm not sure what to do.

The one thing I did get from building control was:

I would have wrapped the internal face of the piers in DPM, before plasterboarding

Does he mean all I have to do is put a Damp Proof Membrane around the pillar from the window to the blocks?

I wish he would just respond but he takes days to come back to me and I want to proceed with the job.

Will I end up having to remove the window, fit a Damp Proof Course, and then put it back again?

This is in the UK.

  • I should have mentioned this is in the UK. – Mark Hayward Jul 9 '20 at 12:13
  • Welcome to Home Improvement, Mark. Please feel free to edit your location into your question. It will help ensure others can easily find it because many people don't read the comments, only the question. Also, while you're waiting for an answer, please take the tour and read through the help center so you know what to expect and can make the most of this site. One additional thought, while you're editing your post, it might be helpful to include a picture of the outside of the new window & wall. – FreeMan Jul 9 '20 at 12:23
  • I don't have the knowledge to help, but I'm curious; what's DPC and DPM? (Edit the answer into your question. Thanks.) – Daniel Griscom Jul 9 '20 at 12:34
  • 1
    I've added DPC and DPM - thanks @DanielGriscom – Mark Hayward Jul 9 '20 at 12:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.