Cabin builders use this tool for about the same purpose as a regular chisel. It is about 4" wide, 1 1/2 foot long, and with a 1 1/2-2 foot long handle. What do you call it?

2 Answers 2


I think you may be talking about a slick:

picture of slick

This is what Wikipedia has to say:

A slick is a large chisel, characterized by a wide (2-4 inches, 5–10 cm), heavy blade, and a long, frequently slender, socketed handle. The combined blade and handle can reach two feet (60 cm) in length. The blade of a slick is slightly curved lengthwise, and/or the handle socket is cranked upward, such that the handle and socket clear the surface of the work when the edge is touching. This distinguishes the slick from the similarly-sized, short-handled millwright's chisel.

  • Correct...though it's more of a timberframing than log cabin tool, IME.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jul 2, 2020 at 20:50

I believe you're describing an ADZE which is a tool used to shape logs:


  • jwh20, adze is an ax, and I mean a real chisel on steroids.
    – user119333
    Jul 2, 2020 at 14:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.