I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator that recently developed the symptom described in this YouTube video. That is, the water dispenser in the freezer door no longer output any water. Likewise, when activating the dispenser, water leaked from the reservoir inside the refrigerator and pooled at the bottom of the refrigerator compartment. As described there, this is a sign that the reservoir needs replacement.
So, I purchased a replacement water reservoir and replaced it according to the instructions given there. The whole process went as expected, until the point where I tried to test the system by filling a glass of water. The process went like this:
- I pressed a glass against the dispenser.
- Inside the refrigerator, you could see and hear the reservoir filling, as expected.
- Once the reservoir appeared to fill completely, nothing more occurred. No water came out of the dispenser.
I suspected that perhaps there was a drain plug remaining inside the new reservoir's water outlet line (that goes under the refrigerator to a compression valve below the freezer door). When I disconnected the outlet from that compression valve, I was greeted with a burst of compressed air, but no water. I suppose this made sense, as that would account for all of the air that was in the water lines and reservoir when I installed it.
Next, I reconnected the freezer door water line and repeated the test: still no water. I then disconnected the compression valve again: another smaller burst of air, and a little water dribbled out, but still, nothing has made it to the dispenser.
It seems to me that one of two things is going on:
- I haven't been able to get enough air bled out of the system to allow water to flow all the way through, or
- There is an obstruction somewhere past the compression valve that is preventing water flow.
If it were #1, I’m not sure what else to do to force air out of the line. I think if it were #2, I would still at least see the water line from the reservoir to the freezer door compression valve fill with water completely, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
Any ideas on how to further troubleshoot this?