I have a doorway about 4 feet high and a bookshelf that is a bit larger in both height and width than the doorway. I'd like to put hinges and rollers on the bookshelf unit to turn it into a hidden door.

I have in mind to use some rollers much like you find under a refrigerator that are linear (not omni-directional casters) and relatively wide (>2") to distribute the weight better and avoid creating impressions in my flooring from the heavy load. I can't seem to source these rollers or even determine what they're called. If anyone knows what to call them or where to find them online, I'd love some help.

I'm also open to other ideas to accomplish the same thing.

  • Many diy / hardware stores carry wheels that would do this in various diameters. – Solar Mike Jun 26 '20 at 20:26
  • Fixed Casters is the term you want. duckduckgo.com/… – Alaska Man Jun 26 '20 at 20:33
  • Thanks, Alaska Man (I grew up in Soldotna!) – Jeremy Foster Jun 27 '20 at 1:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.