I’m trying to remove this old tub faucet. There is what looks to be a set screw, but it’s either been stripped or is super corroded. What are my options here? I can’t seem to fit an Allen key down there.

Picture attached.


  • Try a google search for "easy out screw extractor." You can find them at Home Depot and Lowe's and probably most, other hardware stores too. It looks like you would need a really small one. Jun 22, 2020 at 23:45
  • 3
    Or, it's so corroded, drill it out completely. Jun 23, 2020 at 4:22
  • It's hard to say for sure, but it could be a hex-head screw, requiring a socket. It would be quite odd, but someone may have done a "fix" at a previous time, and with all that corrosion... I'm in the "drill it out" camp, though.
    – FreeMan
    Jun 23, 2020 at 10:53
  • Look s like drilling it out is the option. Thanks!
    – rratnaya
    Jun 24, 2020 at 0:37

1 Answer 1


If you are removing this unit to replace with a new unit, then I would either:

  1. drill out the setscrew - not much care needed as it’s being replaced. But if it was to be re-used then putting the drill in a jig to save the threads would help.

  2. just use a grinder to cut the old unit up - protect the worktop and surrounding surfaces from the debris.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.