I'm putting an above ground pool in the backyard and code requires that I bury a #8 gauge wire 4-6" all around the perimeter. Then it is to be attached to the metal pool frame at 4 equidistant points. I'm unsure of what type of connection I should use to close the ring of wire around the pool, and again what type to use to attach the feeder wires that go from the frame to the buried wire ring.

I looked at direct burial rated split bolts, and wire clamps that seem made for connecting to pipe or grounding rods. I've been searching forums for advice but so far I haven't figured it out.

Thank you

  • What metal and section is the frame made from? Does it provide pre-drilled/tapped holes for grounding/bonding connections, and if so, what size are they? Is the pool pump grounded or double-insulated? Jun 20, 2020 at 17:00
  • You might not find help because Storable pools are not required to have a ground loop, double insulated pool pumps have the grounding conductor included in the cord 680.30 through 680.34. Are you looking at permanent pool requirements?
    – Ed Beal
    Jun 20, 2020 at 17:15
  • Also, what are the pool walls made from? Jun 20, 2020 at 17:19
  • So the pool is a metal frame intex type pool, the wall is just a vinyl liner. There are no pre drilled or tapped holes, I was going to just drill holes myself. I hear you on the storable requirement but town is asking for it anyway...
    – confused
    Jun 20, 2020 at 19:49
  • @confused -- are we talking about a flexible vinyl fabric or rigid molded vinyl? Also, how tall is this pool? Does the pool pump's cord have 2 or 3 prongs on it? Jun 21, 2020 at 0:00


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.