I want to add a 220v 20 amp breaker to run a mini split A/c. I only have 1 space in the box left. I see there are other tandem switches in there. I also see 2 regular breakers with blue switches. I looked up and see that they are most likely GFCI breakers. I also see that they don't seem to make a tandem GFCI. So, can I install a tandem breaker, remove the 2 gfci breakers, and install gfci outlets in the wet locations? That would give me the 1 slot I need.enter image description here

  • 3
    The blue-handled breakers are not GFCI (or AFCI), as evidenced by the lack of "test" button and looking up the specs of the "Type BR115" marking. They're just from a different era than the black-handled breakers, an era when type BR breakers used color-coding for different amperages. – nobody Jun 10 at 16:19
  • Are you sure the "blue" breaker on the left isn't a spare, no label? Your two slots would be right there. – JACK Jun 10 at 16:44
  • Is replacing one of the existing two-pole breakers with a quadruplex off the table? – ThreePhaseEel Jun 10 at 16:51
  • 1
    @FreeMan -- it's 20A on the outer poles and 40A on the inner poles (although that's a bit hard to see from the photo given) – ThreePhaseEel Jun 10 at 17:03
  • 1
    Also, what does the outer pair of handles on the breaker labeled "Range" control? – ThreePhaseEel Jun 10 at 17:04

I don't see any GFCI's. Your cheapest route is to replace the blue handled 15A shed breaker with a BR1515 and add the wires from the unmamrked 15A circuit on the left to the additional termination you just added to the shed space. That's a lot cheaper than buying any quadplex.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your expertise! – calculus Jun 11 at 13:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.