The two black pipes pictured below are connected, and a U-shaped wedge is placed between them, apparently to close the connection.

U-shaped wedge connecting two pipes

What is the name of this connection or this wedge?

I will subsequently google the name you provide to look for how I can open the joint and reseal it.

  • I have never seen plastic pipe held together with a single point are you sure that is what it is I would think it is more or a hold down , if it was to seal the pipe there would need to be one for each pipe on the coupling.
    – Ed Beal
    Jun 7 '20 at 14:50
  • What is that pipe used for? That is special piping with proprietary push-fit connectors that are locked with that u-clip and it is not standard "plumbing" pipe. What is the application (e.g. rain water collection, gray-water system, agriculture/irrigation, recreational vehicle, fish tank, spa, pond...)? Jun 7 '20 at 16:47
  • Where on the planet is this? Jun 7 '20 at 16:48
  • @JimmyFix-it Each of the two pipes connects to a simple solar water heater, installed over the roof of a house in Canada. Might this be a very specific type of connector, created for just this application (and making it impossible to fix by off-the-shelf parts)?
    – Sam
    Jun 7 '20 at 16:50

I don’t think a seal failure is the issue, that leak seems to be from where that U clamp holds the joint together.

I suggest you need to replace the whole joint so a section of pipe and two joints will be needed.

  • What is the name of this joint, so I can search for a replacement?
    – Sam
    Jun 7 '20 at 14:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.