I have a flood light that's not properly mounted and I'd like to run conduit to raise it about two feet higher on a stucco and brick wall.

The wires exit the house via a small, approx. half inch hole ( see photo ). I was planning on using a service entrance LB like this one or a regular conduit body but I just want to make sure this is the most appropriate way to handle wires exiting a house without conduit?

Is using a weatherproof box better than a conduit body in this case? I think the box would be unnecessarily bulky compared to the conduit body/service entrance LB but what would be the best option to seal it from the weather?

Wires exiting the house

  • Can you access the other side of the wall? Commented Jun 5, 2020 at 17:42
  • You will have to change wire types to raise the fixture. You can recess a fixture in that location and still use NM but to come outside with a box or go up the wall you need a box for a splice then wire rated for the location. Me I would just cut in a box and put the light there with the original wire that is code compliant.
    – Ed Beal
    Commented Jun 5, 2020 at 18:41

1 Answer 1



This was a bodge job from the beginning. Hole unguarded, NM cable coming outside as if Shelter-in-place was over, fitting intended for octagon box misapplied to mount an outside light, etc. Is the light even rated for outdoors??

(NM-B is not legal nor reliable outside; this could be tripping a GFCI if it was on it just from hot-ground leakage from insulation breakdown. Meanwhile the paper stuffing is wicking water tens of feet down the cable).

I think a plain old 1/2" conduit body would be perfectly fine as part of a nutritious breakfast - er, proper wiring method.

I would run up the wall with conduit to your desired light location then fit an appropriate box there. My preference is a box where the flexible cable to the light exits the bottom of the box with a proper liquidtight strain relief; that way when the liquidtight leaks, water still doesn't get in. You don't want the conduit to turn into a rain superhighway into your house.

The only issue is, you can't run NM cable outside, and UF cable won't fit inside conduit (unless you make it stupid-huge). That limits you to THHN wire, which works great in conduit (use stranded since you'll be splicing to wire nuts at both ends). You will need to make a transition from NM to THHN somewhere inside the house, and that requires an accessible junction box to do that.

  • 1
    thanks... so if I use the conduit body, is caulking enough to seal that hole in the stucco and the gap between the stucco and the conduit body?
    – mikeLdub
    Commented Jun 5, 2020 at 18:57
  • you can't do junctions inside a conduit body
    – Jasen
    Commented Jun 6, 2020 at 4:09
  • Yeah, I was envisioning to extend the conduit through the wall, to a junction box inside. Make the NM to THHN transition there. Can't do it in a conduit body unless the body is absolutely gigantic like junction-box size, and that... defeats the purpose... Commented Jun 6, 2020 at 5:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.