I have a sillcock that I want to replace though I can not tell if it is threaded on or soldered. I have tried turning it but it will not budge. If it is soldered, will it be hard to un-solder and re-solder the new one on? enter image description here

UPDATE (question):
How can I find out what length I need to by for my sillcock?

  • It looks s if those two pipes are already separated. – JACK Jun 2 at 23:37
  • It is hard to tell in the picture but at the end of the sillcock the pipe widens. So that may be why it looks like they are not connected. – SchoolBusesC2 Jun 2 at 23:43
  • it looks as though the knurled section is threaded on – jsotola Jun 3 at 0:57
  • @jsotola I think the knurled section is part of the threads and used to tighten the threads into a female threaded end but the water pipe was fitted inside. – JACK Jun 3 at 1:13
  • where is the sillcock in relation to that picture? – jsotola Jun 3 at 1:19

That sillcock appears to be soldered on to the water pipe. There should have been a female adapter soldered on to the water pipe and then the sillcock would just screw onto the water pipe. You've got a few options here:

1) Cut the water pipe, solder a female adapter on the water pipe and screw in a new sillcock.

2) Cut the water pipe and get a SharkBite sillcock and shove it onto the water pipe.

3)Unsolder the existing sillcock, clean up the water pipe and solder a new sillcock onto the water pipe.

I would be doing the first option as it makes future replacements easier.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.