I am looking for the name of a type of glue (I think brand recommendations are not permitted, so not that) which will seal an electrical connector to the socket it is plugged into in a reversible and temporary manner. I've scraped this stuff off before and it is usually some form of yellowish translucent gum. The exact use case is sealing a USB plug to a waterproof USB solar-powered power pack (and the other end of the cable to the similarly waterproof thing I'm plugging it into), so this can be used outdoors.

  • Silicone caulking?
    – gnicko
    Jun 1, 2020 at 13:26
  • I’ve heard the brand name Silastic (DuPont, I think ) used for this type of non-conductive glue.
    – spuck
    Jun 2, 2020 at 20:46

1 Answer 1


Not what you are describing, but "duct seal" is a (all I've ever seen is gray) non-hardening putty intended for plugging conduits to prevent various things (air, water, rodents, insects) from coming along with the wires, usually at building penetration points. Find it where electrical supplies are sold, though it may not be all that obvious on the shelf.

It is removable and reusable.

What you are describing sounds more like hot glue (which could work, though its performance exposed to sunlight may be dubious.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.