What size amp sub panel do I need to run off of a 100 amp main panel? At the moment I have a 100 amp sub panel hooked up and it’s making my drill spark and have a burning smell to it.

  • 1
    You have a different problem. You need to take some pictures of the panel, and if possible, wires inside the panel, and we can figure out which of several problems it may be. – Harper - Reinstate Monica May 23 '20 at 3:00
  • 1
    This isn't an amps problem...do you have a multimeter? – ThreePhaseEel May 23 '20 at 3:23
  • 2
    By the way, I know you're on the "I need a different subpanel" track but being on track X when the real problem is over at Y happens often enough we have a name for it: The XY problem. No panel of any size should make a drill do that. Let's take a look at it. Also, do you have a voltmeter? Or a "Kill-a-Watt" (that simply plugs into the wall), they are $20 at Walmart). – Harper - Reinstate Monica May 23 '20 at 13:42
  • Thanks for all the answers. My husband got mad cuz he couldn’t figure it out and took everything back. Could you just give me an idea of what all I need to run electric from the house to the detached garage? Like what wire to use? Do I need a sub panel? If I need one what size do I need and what size breaker? The main panel in the house is only 100amp. Which I now everyone’s been updating to a 200 or a 250amp main box but with renting I can’t do that. – Kristen May 25 '20 at 17:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.