I am replacing a ( hanging ) ceiling fixture in the dining room and found only wires and no box ( see photos ).
There's no junction box and the wires are old and gnarly looking. The house was built in 1900, and while I believe most of the electrical has been redone, there may still be knob and tube in the ceiling.
The other fixture I just replaced in the living room had same old wiring, but a plastic box was there so it seemed fine. This looks dangerous to me, but would love to hear what you all think.
Is it just a matter of putting a box up there and pulling the wires through ?
Fixture requires a rating of 75C, is this wiring safe? Or do I need to get a pro ?
Happy to provide more pix if that's helpful. Thanks in advance.