Is this what’s known as a drum trap? What do I need to do with this?enter image description here


Most likely, that is a drain clean-out. If you unscrew the cover, you get a fairly straight shot to your main sewer line. This way, if you get a clog (often tree roots penetrating the pipe) in your sewer pipe leading to your municipal waste system, you can get tools (rotary cleaners, inspection cameras, etc.) into the line.

Just leave it be and make sure you can get at it if necessary.

  • 2
    And if you open it when the sink is plugged and full, everything above it will drain out into the room. – Lee Sam May 16 '20 at 17:21
  • @LeeSam Very true if the clog is below the clean out, not above. – Alaska Man May 16 '20 at 19:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.