We have a Whirlpool model ET1MHKXMT01. Apparently an aftermarket top freezer icemaker was installed in unit and had been working fine for years.

At some point moving the fridge appears to have caused the a line that runs into the back of the ice maker on the freezer to disconnect, possibly break. We tried to reconnect it but the line keeps popping out now whenever the ice maker pulls water. A repair guy told me there is some clip missing he can't find anywhere.

I called a parts for whirlpool but hey said the original does not show these parts.

I wondering if that port is part of the fridge or the icemaker? Note a metal ring inside the water line. wondering if these are factory or aftermarket and what fix i can make? do most after market ice makers come with this hardware?

enter image description here

enter image description here

Below are images of after market ice makers. Are we missing any of these parts. Is this a repair we can do from the back?

My water line end looks like this (NOT ACTUAL):

enter image description here

updated port pic. waiting on better line pic

enter image description here

  • pictures updated. it looks like this. seems i just need a clamp. wonder where i can get that?
    – Hell.Bent
    May 8, 2020 at 20:35
  • Maybe. Photo's still fuzzy. I can't tell what would seal the connection. Can you? Doesn't look like a clamp alone will help given those slits in the fitting.
    – isherwood
    May 8, 2020 at 20:42
  • Your 1st two photos do NOT show the same fitting as the next two photos. Which photos are the one in the back of the refrig? Also the connecters required for the top are different from one is required on the bottom. May 8, 2020 at 20:45
  • yeah.. you are right. hold for better pics
    – Hell.Bent
    May 8, 2020 at 20:52
  • I am very confused on what connections you actually have. Can you delete any non relevant and out of focus photos.
    – Alaska Man
    May 8, 2020 at 20:55

1 Answer 1


It is very common in refrigerators to use push-to-connect fittings for joining polypropylene water lines. If that is the kind of connector in use previously, yours appears to be broken (some examples here and here) and the metal ring is likely part of the broken connector.

If the fridge was never sold with an ice maker, then it would have not had any need for a water intake port. Therefore, that part must have been part of the aftermarket kit used. What you may want to consider instead of looking at the model number of the fridge is looking for a model number/manufacturer for the ice maker. If you can find one (you might need to remove a panel or take the ice maker loose to find it) you may be able to use that to track down a replacement part instead.

If you can't find a replacement port, consider just drilling a slightly larger hole in the port and replacing the existing polypropylene line all the way up to the ice maker with a slightly longer water line and use a connector on the outside of the fridge such as this, this, or this. You can usually get replacement polypropylene hoses at home depot or lowes by the foot. You may also be able to find the push-to-connect fittings too - just make sure they are the right size and you don't break the one going into your ice maker too!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.