A drill came with these parts. I've tried searching for them but I don't know what keywords to use.

They are each a bit longer than an inch.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


Those are replacement brushes for the electric motor in your drill. They are what make the electrical contact to the coil in the motor that spins, while also allowing it to spin. The rectangular part on the end will eventually wear out. It's nice of your drill manufacturer to give you a set of spares.

You can swap these out either by removing a couple of plugs somewhere on the drill body, or if there are no plugs, you'd have to remove the drill's case and get to them that way. The plugs are usually round and have a slot for a screwdriver, they simply unscrew to expose the brush.

If this is a new drill, this should be explained in the instruction manual.

  • 9
    Thanks. this should be explained in the instruction manual. - "should" is correct. :)
    – ispiro
    Commented May 7, 2020 at 15:00
  • 6
    I have never seen them include an extra set of brushes.+
    – JACK
    Commented May 7, 2020 at 16:23
  • 3
    I have a Skil drill that's older than I am. I've replaced the brushes like twice.
    – barbecue
    Commented May 8, 2020 at 0:13
  • 7
    @barbecue That is actually quite impressive (unless you are 4 years old.... which i suppose would still be impressive, but for a totally different reason).
    – Z4-tier
    Commented May 8, 2020 at 2:26
  • 2
    @barbecue "made in the late 1950s" <-- that explains it! It was not made to be disposable
    – FreeMan
    Commented May 8, 2020 at 17:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.