My house is ~20yrs old.

We're on well-water, so the outdoor water is pretty skanky (sulphur, iron, iron-eating bacteria).

Last October, in trying to disconnect the hose from the spigot, I ended up removing some sort of adapter-piece that had been "part of" the spigot.

(See photos.) https://photos.app.goo.gl/StogbWib8bacVUMp6

I bought something to "solve" the problem, and like an idiot threw away the gross end of hose.

Now I realize I can't figure out what size adaptor I need. I've seen some posts refer to "vacuum breakers", but this seems to be an anti-syphon spigot, which uses a different piece.

None of the pieces at the local hardware stores are big enough (see photos for those).

What can I do?

Is this question redundant to: Can't find a garden hose that fits ?


Your hose faucet came equipped with a vacuum-breaker (call it an "anti-siphon" if you will, it serves the same purpose: preventing dirty water from your garden from getting sucked up into the fresh water supply if there were a drop in line pressure). This type of spigot was likely required by code when your house was built.

The thread that the valve manufacturer uses to attach their anti-siphon device is not standard. In fact, it is deliberately not standard because "they" don't want end users to be able to remove the anti-siphon device and continue to attach a garden hose to it. YOU WILL NOT FIND AN ADAPTER to hook your hose to that valve. You will need to replace the valve.

  • I agree it stinks but jimmy is correct, you may be able to contact the MFG but I’m my experience a valve replacement is needed. – Ed Beal May 4 '20 at 0:49

I established the spigot is ABP (Arrowhead), did some more digging and found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqqryd6rHs&t=101s bought that BrassCraft piece from HomeDepot, https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-1-in-20-Fine-Thread-x-3-4-in-Hose-Thread-Brass-Garden-Hose-Vacuum-Breaker-PS612X/204618267 and it fit nicely. (The spigot seems like it's leaking around the knob-shaft, so I suspect the whole thing's going to need replacing anyway.)

  • After looking at the photos i was going to suggest that you replace the whole hose bib. – Alaska Man May 7 '20 at 16:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.