I have this, for lack of a better word, 'ledge' around the west side of my house ( I'd call it a drip edge but I doubt that's it )
Background: This sun-room space over the once-garage was an addition to the house long before I moved in. It is rotting in many places along with the trim around my back door, Id' like to replace it.
Naively I would expect the process would be:
- Tear out the old wood with putty knife (for caulking) and whatever else I can use to pry it out (cant see how it's even fastened in)
- Replace with outdoor-rated, pressure-treated wood
- Paint with exterior waterproof paint
- Replace trim with trim Id find at the home center.
- What wood should I use, and what paint should I use.
- Still investigating, but any suggestion how it should be fastened in there.
- Biggest issue I see: not sure how to get the exact size. Would I have to plane boards to the right thickness?
- Have never replaced door trim before, I see a lot of 'mouldings' and trims in different material. Any recommendations on the material? Type? or what you suggest. Should I just use bondo or something instead?