I want to replace a light fixture that was put in the 60s with recessed light.

The junction box looks to be held in place by a metal 'u' shaped bar, with the 'u' bend going over the junction box.

Would I have to cut in to the drywall (this is a basement ceiling) and remove from below?

If I don't want to do that, is there any recessed lighting that would be compatible with a 4" junction box?


enter image description here


1 Answer 1


I would go with a flat panel LED fixture.

It is Not recessed but it is very thin and unobtrusive. No modifications to ceiling would be required.

The other option is to cut a new hole adjacent to the box ( same joist cavity ) and fish a wire to the hole for new No-can recessed light and put a cover plate on the old box.

  • Thanks for the advice. I'll look in to the flat panel LED.
    – Anh
    Apr 24, 2020 at 1:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.