I have an Anderson Venting Roof Window in my attic that I'd like to get through for some roof access. I believe it is an RV model, as seen on pg 11 of this Anderson parts catalog

I've removed the operator cover, but I can't see a way to disengage the operator arm from the sash. There is a slot in the center of the sash rail that it appears the arm shoes should fit through, but there is no play in the arms to move to that position.

I even removed the center screw (was in the dark hole at the base of the two arms) but that didn't give any additional play whatsoever.

Below is a picture of the window fully open (approx. 8 inches). How can I get the window open further?

Anderson Venting Roof Window, fully open

  • can you move one arm to center?
    – jsotola
    Apr 16, 2020 at 1:54
  • @jsotola - No, that's just it - it looks like I should be able to, but there is just not enough play. I've tried with it full open, as shown in the picture, and slightly less open, in case a little space between the arms would help. I can only get them over maybe a half inch, but not near enough to the gap in the center.
    – Randall
    Apr 16, 2020 at 15:17
  • all i can think of, is that pulling the crank somehow disengages the gears inside the device and allows the arms to swing independently
    – jsotola
    Apr 16, 2020 at 15:52
  • Nope - pulling the crank handle off just exposes the grooved axle that turns the gears. The so-called operator seems to be a single piece that can't be disassembled at all.
    – Randall
    Apr 16, 2020 at 20:41
  • Where the arms connect to the black sliding bracket, Can you pull the arm away ( down for the one on the right and up for the left ) from the bracket thereby pulling the pivot pin out of the black bracket ? What is the function of the springs and does disconnecting them do anything?
    – Alaska Man
    Apr 16, 2020 at 20:52


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.