I have a window a/c unit cooling our upstairs room, an attic that was just finished when we bought the house. A lot of the electrical was redone when the house was remodeled but I don’t think they necessarily ran all new to those upstairs outlets-think the outlet used to run that window a/c is running a few other branches as well-point being when running on high sometimes it blows a breaker.

I am wondering if I can simply run a new dedicated 120 outlet to run just that. I have 3 available spots left in my breaker panel and I am proficient enough to do that-just wondering how I would know if I’m "maxing out" the breaker panel? Not that the a/c unit would use that much....

  • 1
    Of course you can run a new circuit, assuming you have access. Did you have a more specific question? If you're asking about technical details, provide some for us first.
    – isherwood
    Apr 10, 2020 at 17:45
  • 1
    What size breaker is tripping? What is the name plate readings for your AC unit?
    – JACK
    Apr 10, 2020 at 17:58
  • OP I believe you meant to say "maXing out" (overloading) not "maKing out" (distinguishing, or heavily kissing). Thanks autocorrect! I edited. If I erred, please roll back. Apr 10, 2020 at 20:48
  • What make/model is your breaker box? What size service do you have? Apr 10, 2020 at 22:02

1 Answer 1


You are running the unit now the breaker tripping is not unusual with a branch circuit and air conditioner. I would put a 20 amp circuit in with 12 awg wire. you can still use a duplex 15 amp receptacle or any combination of 20 amp receptacles a single would be ok if 20 amp rated.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.