Floor tiles has many advantages over other floor coverings-
1) They are pretty much impervious to moisture & water, which is why they are favored in kitchens, bathrooms, & entry halls.
2) The stand up to a lot of abuse. Yes, they can crack if you drop something heavy on them. But if the installer provider extra tiles, it's relatively easy matter to replace the cracked tile.
3) Real wood is a disaster waiting to happen in rooms like kitchens and bathrooms. Yeah, I know people do it, but they must be a lot easier with where the water goes than in my house.
4) Same thing is true of carpets. When was the last time you saw wall to wall carpeting in a bath or kitchen? Throw rugs, maybe.
5) Most laminates just look artificial (I know, this is an opinion). I have them in some rooms, but that was more a decision based on trying to match the heights of a new and existing floor.
And no, they don't have to be anonymous squares, unless this falls into your description. This is a kitchen makeover I did myself.