I need fencing type/material to use to block low hum of pool pump located 12’ to 15’ from family room hurricane impact windows. I'm planning to erecta 6’ high fence on property line between houses spanning about 18’. The pump is used on high and low speed creating noise.

  • Hi! You have a couple of unregistered user accounts. Please consider registering one of them then merge them together, which will allow you to edit, comment on any of your posts and accept an answer on your question. Thanks, and welcome to the site!
    – Niall C.
    Apr 11, 2020 at 15:00
  • 2
    A fence isn't going to block low-frequency noise. You need to work with your neighbor (rather than insulting them) to isolate the pump from the ground.
    – isherwood
    Sep 9, 2020 at 12:54

1 Answer 1


You'd need a fence at least as high as the wavelength, with substantial mass, and for a 60 Hz hum, for example, that's a 5 meter (15 ft) high fence, made of concrete, such as used for highway sound barriers.

  • 3
    Probably cheaper to offer to pay for a soundproof enclosure for his pump.
    – JRaef
    Apr 8, 2020 at 22:56
  • Yea 15 feet would be to high. Since there are schrubs around pump/motor platform I would need a box like enclosure over pump alone but overhead piping makes it difficult to design and create. Any suggestions?
    – user115579
    Apr 11, 2020 at 14:44
  • 2
    @JRaef A soundproof enclosure isn't going to fix low frequency resonance, it will go right through that enclosure like a house of cards. Vibration isolation and dampening is the only answer.
    – mchid
    Mar 10, 2021 at 15:09
  • As @JRaef states, vibrations will go through the ground. Commercial pumps are usually set on spring/rubber vibration absorbers, as well as enclosed. Mar 10, 2021 at 17:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.