I have been going around the replacing the old caulk where it was cracked on the insides of my windows. I came across this window and it really opened up when scraping away the old caulk. It's by far the biggest gap so far and I'm guessing needs more than just a re-caulk. I stopped scraping after the first bit, got a little worried. As you can see in the photos, the insullation is visible and the wall flexes quite a bit.

Photos: https://ibb.co/album/hfDAOv

Is this a big issue or can I just fill it with a different product? Would something like a foam backer rod work here?

Thank you


It looks like it has been there since the dry wall was mudded and not something new. I would not expect water damage to look like that. I don't know what is the reason for the wall flex or if it is excessive. More than likely it was either a poor fit of the dry wall during installation or these are newer windows that were narrower than the originals. I suggest filling in with 'hot' mud which is a chemical set dry wall mud that is fast setting and won't shrink and crack

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.