I'm building a ham radio room and need to ground my coaxial cable and antenna. If you are not a radio ham, you might not understand but it does not matter. All the resouces I can find online tells me to pound in a new grounding rod for my ham radio antenna and bond it to the existing home utility grounding rod. However, I am 100% sure that my house either don't use a grounding rod(the ground goes back to the utility company's transformer) or use a ufer ground(grouding rod inside stucco). In either of these cases:

  1. How do I wire a lighting ground for my ham radio room.
  2. Is it possible to reroute the grouding system to a grounding rod?
  3. Do I need an electrician for step 2 or I can DIY it myself.
  4. Someone on Reddit told me it is good to have a pair of grounding rods, but isn't that against the electric code if you don't bond all grounds?

For your reference, I put a picture of my house's electric/breaker panel, and you can see their is no visible grounding rod.enter image description here

  • Can you find your Grounding Electrode Conductor anywhere in the house? (It's a copper wire, usually bare, that runs from the ground electrodes up into the main panel or meter base.) Mar 24, 2020 at 4:07
  • That would be behind the panel.... don't want to mess around with AC stuff without electrician though. But too expensive to call in an electrician for this.
    – Jevon Mao
    Mar 24, 2020 at 4:17
  • It has to exit the panel to reach the grounding electrode... Mar 24, 2020 at 11:46
  • 1
    You might want to post this on ham.stackexchange.com, where ham radio folks hang out. Oct 8, 2021 at 14:44
  • 1
    I’m voting to close this question because this should have been posted on/moved to Amateur Radio.
    – FreeMan
    Oct 8, 2021 at 14:48


Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.