I'm about to connect my new faucet supply lines to my new sharkbite valves. The valves came with these copper rings and I am wondering what they are and should I leave them in when connecting the supply lines.

Also, do I need to use plumber's tape for this connection?

Valve insert / ring on left

  • 1
    That is a ferrule and it is used in a compression fitting, shark bite valves do not have ferrules. Are you sure that you have a shark bite valve ? , can you take a picture of the valve itself so we can determine exactly what you are working with.
    – Alaska Man
    Mar 22 '20 at 14:26
  • Yes this is a sharkbite valve... with a sharkbite connect at one end and a threaded supply line connector at an angle. This one to be exact: lowes.com/pd/…
    – 0pt1m1z3
    Mar 22 '20 at 14:28
  • Alaska man you need to make that an answer end when I get off the floor from laughing I will up vote. Yes it is a ferrule for use with the nut in the background not a shark bite but a compression fitting normally used with copper pipe, if poly pipe is used there is an inner liner to support the poly when the seal is created. I see the op just posted a shark bite valve on the supply side with a standard compression on the faucet side. A standard 3/8 washer based flexible faucet hose can also be used if copper lines are not there.
    – Ed Beal
    Mar 22 '20 at 14:30
  • So you have a valve that has a compression fitting on one side and a shark bite connection on the other side. Some more details on where are you are installing this valve and what it controls would be helpful but yes the ferrule needed on the copper pipe side of the equation to make a watertight connection.
    – Alaska Man
    Mar 22 '20 at 14:34
  • Beal, I am NOT saying that THIS threaded end is a sharkbit connection! I said it is a sharkbite valve... which it absolutely is.
    – 0pt1m1z3
    Mar 22 '20 at 14:35

Here is the correct answer to the question as it is written.

The copper ring is a ferrule, which is part of a compression fitting.

You absolutely need the copper Ferrule for a watertight connection, and plumbers tape is not necessary when this type of connection is installed properly.

If you do not know what a copper Farrule is and what a compression fitting is than you need to learn before you try to install this valve.

I have no way of knowing if you have the correct part for the plumbing task that you are trying to accomplish. If you edit your question with more details and photos then I may be able to help.

  • 1
    You are absolutely correct that I have no idea what a ferrule is. I do still still that connecting a faucet supply line isn't something that needs much expertise. The disconnection of the old faucet supplies was easy and I don't remember my old valves having ferrules. Here is a photo of the faucet supply connector with the valve in question, hopefully this helps you answer the question with more precision. I do appreciate your responses! i.imgur.com/lAI2ek2.jpg
    – 0pt1m1z3
    Mar 22 '20 at 15:04
  • 1
    Based on the photo it appears that you have pushed the shark bite connection side of the valve onto the supply line coming from the wall and you have the faucet supply line coming down to attach to the threaded portion of the valve. The supply line from the faucet has a built-in compression washer inside of it so all you need to do is tighten the supply line on to The valve. You want to tighten the supply line with an adjustable wrench but do not over tighten it as to not over compress the rubber washer. The ferrule is not needed for this connection
    – Alaska Man
    Mar 22 '20 at 15:13
  • 1
    Thank you. I've accepted your answer.
    – 0pt1m1z3
    Mar 22 '20 at 15:17
  • @0pt1m1z3 You would use that ferrule if the lines from your faucet were 3/8" copper just cut off at the end. +
    – JACK
    Mar 22 '20 at 15:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.