The whole house has these cheap strips all over it. We're starting to take them down. This one on the corner has a big gap in it. Do we just put joint compound in there? Or is there something else we're supposed to put there?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Is that an outside corner in the picture?
    – SteveSh
    Mar 14, 2020 at 23:08
  • 1
    There are larger versions of corner bead that JACK (the other Jack) answered with too. Just a mention, it looks like the lower half of the wall in the upper picture is past the plane of the other wall. If it is, before any corner bead is put on, the drywall that is projecting past another wall needs to be cut back so it does not force the corner bead into an odd position.
    – Jack
    Mar 14, 2020 at 23:47
  • Another question, are these supposed to be 90 degree corners or 45 degree corners?
    – Jack
    Mar 14, 2020 at 23:48
  • Yes it's an outside corner.
    – Lizzie C
    Mar 14, 2020 at 23:55
  • Oh okay. Thank you! It looks a lot worse than it is because I hadn't taken that other strip off just yet, but it does still stick out. They're more like 135 degree angles.
    – Lizzie C
    Mar 15, 2020 at 0:02

1 Answer 1


There are pre-taped corners that are available from you home store that would look great here. You have to mud the corner part of the wall and then install the corner and then mud the tape on each side and then finish with a skimcoat. Hope this helps.

enter image description here

  • Thank you! Would you be able to bend them to fit a 135° angle or do they sell different ones for different shapes angles?
    – Lizzie C
    Mar 15, 2020 at 0:03
  • Like Jack said, (the other Jack) you can get larger corners than the one I showed. You can bend them but it has to be an even bend. Place the corner pointed edge up and use a furring strip or other straight piece of wood to evenly bend the corner down.
    – JACK
    Mar 15, 2020 at 0:11
  • I fully agree get the big ones and flex them prior to install the metal ones will hold when bent, then a coat of mud and slap em in place work them down let dry then fill to the metal bead with a wide knife , +
    – Ed Beal
    Mar 15, 2020 at 2:27
  • The bigger ones are actually paper coated vinyl, one of the brand names are Flextape I think. They cover about 4" on either side of a splayed corner. I just did a fast search using that term, it did not show what I described, but it is out there
    – Jack
    Mar 15, 2020 at 7:12
  • Certainteed makes a type of it called Easy Flex tape pro. It is made so it takes just a skim coat over the edges.
    – Jack
    Mar 15, 2020 at 15:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.