Basically I just bought a home theatre system but our living room has 2 round pin 5amp plugs that are locaed where I would like the amp and rear speakers. Can I wire a round pin 5 amp plug onto the amp and use the round pin sockets? Or does an adapter exist that I could use? (UK)

Amplifier details below.

TA-SA500WR/TA-SA600WR: POWER OUTPUT (reference) Surround L/Surround R: 200 W (per channel at 6 ohms, 1 kHz) TA-SA700WR: POWER OUTPUT (reference) Surround L/Surround R: 100 W (per channel at 6 ohms, 1 kHz) Rated impedance 6  Communication system Wireless sound Specification version 3.0 Frequency band Europe, Oceania, Africa*, India, Middle East*, Thailand, and Russia models: 5.2 GHz, 5.8 GHz Singapore and Taiwan models: 5.8 GHz China model: 5.2 GHz * 5.2 GHz or 5.8 GHz may not be available in some countries/regions. Modulation method DSSS Power requirements 220 V – 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz

  • 1
    Asking if a plug could be rewired really needs the plug type or a photo. Without that info all the amplifier details are useless.
    – Ed Beal
    Commented Mar 11, 2020 at 13:57
  • In the context of UK electrics "round pin plug" means BS546. Commented Mar 11, 2020 at 14:52
  • 1
    Wow, all that and you left out the one thing that matters, the amps input off the nameplate. It may be actually on the nameplate, not in the PDF specs, because sometimes vendors are really obtuse about including that in the spec sheet for UL listing reasons. Commented Mar 11, 2020 at 19:37
  • Can you post a photo of the nameplate please? Commented Mar 11, 2020 at 23:03
  • I found a copy of the service manual at servlib.com/sony/audio/ta-sa500wr-ta-sa600wr-ta-sa700wr.html , it seems to be self-contradictory though listing audio power output levels much higher than the power consumption levels. I suspect that is a case of the audio power output levels being rated under a stupid rating scheme and that the "power consumption" figure is the accurate one. Commented Mar 13, 2020 at 5:15

1 Answer 1


Can I wire a round pin 5 amp plug onto the amp

Nothing stops you from doing so.

Or does an adapter exist

Yes, adapters exist, they are sold as travel adapters for people from the UK who are visiting India (the indian 6A plug is equivilent to the 5A BS546).

Unfortunately many travel adapters are frankly complete garbage. I belive https://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Travel-Earthed-Compact-Convertor/dp/B079VRTCRX is a non-garbage one but I haven't bought one personally.

Be aware that 5A sockets found in a domestic premesis will almost certainly be fed from a lighting circuit. So pay attention to total load on said circuit. They will also likely be fed via a light switch, people may find it confusing if the hi-fi turns off when they turn off the light switches.

Also make sure the socket is not fed via a dimmer. If it is then you would need to change the dimmer for a conventional switch before plugging anything other than dimmer-compatible lighting into it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.