I am changing the locks at my house and considering this one, whose craters seem more difficult to pick than a standard yale lock.

Pin and tumbler key

I include only half the key on purpose.

What is the name of the type of key, and is it more difficult to pick?

  • 1
    if you are worried about picking you might look into electronic locks, which have a variety of options. One thing to note is that most burglars don't enter through locked doors so it doesn't matter too much what type of lock you have as long as you have a lock
    – depperm
    Mar 6, 2020 at 12:15
  • 1
    yale locks come in different qualities, from consumer to commercial.
    – dandavis
    Mar 6, 2020 at 20:47

2 Answers 2


I believe this is called a dimple lock, and while no professional this lock wiki says

A dimple lock is not more secure when compared to traditional pin tumbler locks, but the untraditional nature of the key makes many dimple locks appear sophisticated.

  • 4
    obscurity != security
    – dandavis
    Mar 6, 2020 at 20:46

A "dimple" lock (of equivalent quality) would be harder to pick than a traditional vertical pin Yale for those who are most experienced with the much more common pin tumbler arrangement that Yale uses in their most common locks.

The dimple lock itself is only harder to pick because they are less common, not necessarily because they are more secure.

For a locksmith (or thief) who has taken the initiative to gather the special and different tools needed for dimple locks, and who has practiced and become experienced with that type of lock... no problem.

  • 1
    These keys are harder to duplicate and more expensive. +
    – JACK
    Mar 6, 2020 at 15:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.