I removed my upper cabinets and bought a range hood. There is a BX coming from the hole above my stove. There is no wall outlet. Is there any way I can convert this to make the new range hood work? I don't want to reinstall cabinets but also don't want to dip into my budget for serious electrical work. The house is old an has enough problems. Thank you!

Update- I used an old box that I got from the hardware store and used it to install a new outlet. Everything is working great and looking lovely! Thank you!

  • what is available in terms of electrical connections? Commented Mar 3, 2020 at 15:44
  • Is this not as simple as wiring up an electrical box with an outlet to that BX conduit you have available?
    – JPhi1618
    Commented Mar 3, 2020 at 15:57
  • You need to help us with more info on the BX cable. Please post some clear pictures. BX cable should terminate in a box and should at least be capped with wire nuts. Does it have power to it?
    – HoneyDo
    Commented Mar 3, 2020 at 16:25
  • PLease post the name & model number of the hood you bought so we can peek at the installation manual. Commented Mar 3, 2020 at 19:57

1 Answer 1


It's common enough for range hoods to be supplied with a cord and plug. It's also common for range hood connections to be made via BX.

The range hood should be designed so the cord-and-plug connection can be removed, presumably exposing a standard 1/2" trade size knockout (more like 3/4"), and then the BX can be fit up to that with a BX fitting. There'll be a compartment that opens up to hook up the wires.

  • 2
    And of course if this one isn't, then just wire the BX feed to an outlet box. Commented Mar 3, 2020 at 19:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.