I have a single lever mixer tap which needs a cartridge replacement. I’ve managed to open the lever using an Allen key. This brass nut has had me stumped. I don’t want to use a tap wrench and damage the nut.


  • What brand is the faucet? A simple Google search for faucet cartridge remover for <brand> would likely show you exactly what you need. Mar 2 '20 at 20:08
  • Unfortunately I’m unable to locate the brand
    – adarshr
    Mar 2 '20 at 20:31
  • 1
    @adarshr get a small mirror and look at the base of the faucet between the faucet and the wall. Sometimes they print the name brand on the back.
    – JPhi1618
    Mar 2 '20 at 20:33

There are a number of spanner wrenches that you can use. If you're replacing the cartridge, you can probably pick up a cheap wrench where you purchased the cartridge or at a plumbing supply store.

enter image description here

I usually just get a piece of bar stock and place the end in the groove and gently tap it with a hammer ccw.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.